Monday, January 24, 2011

Guess what else I saw in Korea.

Friends. Awesome, right? I met two friends for dinner my last Sunday in Korea. Natalee lives and teaches English two hours southwest of Seoul and Jason lives and teaches near Incheon. I know both of these friends from my semester in Washington, D.C. When we realized how close we would be in a completely different country, we knew we had to see each other.

We decided to meet in Iteawon, the main ex-pat community of Seoul. There, we enjoyed Kalbi, Korean barbeque while my friends talked about their favorite students and shared some interesting stories about teaching "demon" classes, classes filled with misbehaving students. It was a rather entertaining conversation and we had a lot of good laughs.

When we finished the meal, my friends opened their gifts from me. I gave both of them Reeses, a difficult candy to find in Korea. Of the two of them, Jason was most excited about the Reeses. Natalee gets them from her mom in the mail, but I'm guessing Jason hadn't seen one in a long time because he kept bringing it up in Skype conversations before I left the U.S. Excited, he ate one right away. **Side note - I found Reeses in Namdamun Market, but one package was 7,000 won (about $7 in American currency).

After a great meal (and Jason ate his Reeses), we went to Coldstone so these two ex-pats could get their American-chocolate-fill. Even though the chocolaty selection was limited, we still enjoyed our richly-sweet ice cream.

The time we spent together was short, but good. It was great to catch up and see/hear how they have grown. It was truly a bittersweet dinner. I only wish I wasn't leaving Korea so soon.

f r i e n d s . s t o r i e s . c h o c o l a t e . k o r e a .

No comments:

Post a Comment