Thursday, January 20, 2011

Visiting Namsan Seoul Tower

We had another great Korean traditional dinner, which I, unfortunately, did not eat much of. Yes, it was the chopsticks' fault. I struggled to pick up the food because my grip "was not strong enough," according to one Korean. I have to admit that I, eventually, gave up. I patiently waited for others to finish and focused on the next plan for the night, more sight-seeing. Our team was off to see another landmark: Namsan Seoul Tower. The tower overlooks the city of Seoul and it's surrounding mountains. (I'm sorry that my pictures cannot show you how beautiful it truly is, but hopefully you can still enjoy the photos.)


Hello beautiful Seoul!
First, we took a cable car to a surface near the top of the tower. Then, we walked the rest of the way to the top, which was so worth it, despite the cold. You could not see a star in the sky. The city lights were vibrant, neon blues and greens, mustang-red and had many specks of golden yellows and florescent whites. It was quite the sight. My classmates and I spent most of the day walking through the streets of Seoul. From the top of this tower, we tried to find places we recognized from earlier in the day, but we were distracted. I kept thinking how beautiful cities can really be.

The top of this tower is not only one of the best sight seeing platforms; it is a popular romantic place where many couples come to secure their love. The couples may write love notes or simply names on their lock and attach it to other locks. The wire-fenced railings that are used to keep people from falling off the deck, also support these LocksofLove.  Predictably, the girls in my group were impressed with the story behind this wall of locks. The guys, were not as impressed, but still read some of the love notes on the locks with us. Names and middle initials were written in a heart, and "forever" and "amor" were commonly used.

We continued to read different locks and stumbled upon an interesting cluster of locks which, unfortunately, fell on the floor. We tried to balance the cluster back on the fence with the rest, but the bundle of locks kept falling down . . . So much for "security" in those relationships.
locks and the city
"so much love"

No comments:

Post a Comment